May your winter holidays be merry and bright – even if it’s just chilling at home or at work.
I have discovered that I like to research any topic that tickles my fancy and I like to organize it. I’m probably a word geek. Yes, a word geek ( or wordsmith, if you will). I can live with that. In my latest research binge and the love of organizing it I have conjured a decent list about the writing process from brainstorming ideas to publication. This list is not the only way to write or the One Great List to rule them all. This a launching point. Tweak as you will for whatever works for you. Everyone is different.
The writing process (checklist)
- The idea
- Brainstorming (write all your ideas down – do not edit)
- Character creation, map your world, worldbuilding (keep collecting those ideas)
- Outlining (this is important, but not everyone likes to do this – to each their own – you do you!)
- Drafting (do not edit at this point – just write – this might take a while)
- Revise (this is the time to rearrange, add, or take out what doesn’t belong – stories have a flow, voice, and rhythm, find it)
- Find someone or a few people to critique your story
- Revise again
- Hire a developmental editor or a talented book-lover friend to read your story (find those plot holes, things that don’t fit into your story, things that need more explanation, etc…)
- Start chatting about your book on social media (Soft Promotion)
- Revise again (some of you may start the editing process here depending on how your project is going – every process is different.)
- Find beta readers (more awesome critiquing!)
- Revise again (with feeling!) and/or self-edit
- Hire a professional copy editor (or another talented friend – I will recommend that you pick a different person to copyedit your work from the developmental editor. Everyone will catch different mistakes)
- Apply for an ISBN (if you don’t already have one)
- Write book blurb, acknowledgments page, and about the author page
- Hire a cover artist/ designer and someone who does interior formatting (Some of you are amazing at this already so you’ve got yourself covered)
- Promote your book! (Share book teasers, cover reveal, hit that social media pavement, etc)
- Send out ARCs! (Advanced Readers Copies) – (Ask for honest reviews in exchange for a free book – optional)
- Release your book!!!
- Celebrate! (you did it!!!)
Thank you for reading!
There you have it. My long writing process list. This list may go through a few tweaks in the future, but for now, this is what I have. I have learned a lot this past year about writing and publishing and I don’t intend to quit anytime soon.
I hope you all keep creating into the new year. Much love.
Photo on http://<a href=”https://visualhunt.com/re/9b1f56″>Visualhunt</a>